- How geographically dispersed is the organization?
- How different is the organization functionally?
- Are there different business units?
- Are there different technical processes?
- Are there different customer bases?
- Are there significant cultural differences?
The Change And Local Leaders
It is useful to consider the number of leaders who will be required. The size of the leadership network will have to be a significant portion of the entire organization. An initial target of 10 percent is a good rule of thumb. A very complex organization can require many more. To determine the appropriate number of leaders, think in terms of the overall organization and how it actually functions.
For each of the significant differences, consider what sort of local leadership will best support adaptability. Each leader will provide a point of deliberation for the small decisions that are made on a daily basis.